Roses, Roses, Roses


Click on any of the images to see large


"Golden Showers" climber
(with Oreo underneath)


It's that time of year around here when all the roses are bursting with wonderfully scented blossoms. The scent is so heady in certain parts of the garden that it seems a bit surreal. We have over 30 roses growing in the gardens so I couldn't picture them all here in one post. I decided to feature some of the ones that have gotten less "press" here on the blog.

The "Golden Showers" (above) has really taken off. It towers over my head and makes a great shady spot from the intense sun for both Oreo (the garden kitty) and me.

"Sheer Magic"

The "Sheer Magic" (above) has had a hard time producing photogenic blooms since I put it in 2 years ago. But this year looks promising with it's first bloom that is photograph-worthy.


This is the oldest rosebush in the gardens (above). It is probably at least 50 years old. I call it "Old Red" because I don't have a correct identification for it (although I have a hunch that it's a Mr. Lincoln).

"Hot Cocoa"

Like the "Sheer Magic", this "Hot Cocoa" (above) has had a hard time producing photogenic blooms since it went in 2 years ago. But this first bloom of 2009 gives me hope that it has settled in and found its footing so-to-speak.


"Cecile Brunner" climber

You've all seen my "Cecile Brunner" in past posts. It is such a wonderful climber with thick foliage that gives the best shade. This year we have a sweet sparrow family nesting in the inner depths of this massive rose. I hear the little babies tweeting from inside. It's really a treat.




"Irish Cream"

I usually won't admit to a favorite among my roses, but I have to admit that the "Irish Cream" has bewitched me with its unusual caramel color. It isn't a bushy rose, nor is it as prolific a bloomer as some of the others. But when it blooms... WOW!



"Montezuma" (above left) and "Cherry Parfait" (above right)

The "Montezuma" and the "Cherry Parfait" are on opposite sides of the front garden because each one is a show-stopper that needs the spotlight. It's interesting to see them here side-by-side when I never see them that way in real life.

Many of these roses (and more) have made their debut in a new 18 month calendar that I have hand-produced myself. I got really tired of "18 month" calendars that don't have real pages for the extra six months. So I decided to make a REAL 18-month calendar that has a real page for every one of the 18 months. I took photographs of the roses that grow here at Rosehaven Cottage and turned them into "vintage" rose prints using Photoshop magic. I have a coil-binding set-up here in my studio so the calendars have been completed constructed by me. I even discreetly hand-sign and date each one, because I think each is a piece of art.


0 comments:

Post a Comment