California Poppy


Every spring, these wonderful perennials pop up in my front garden. Sometimes they pop up in the place where they were last year as a true perennial growing from last year's roots. Because poppies are excellent at reseeding themselves, sometimes they surprise me by popping up in new places that they haven't been before.

The serendipity of discovering new feathery poppy seedlings is always a treat for me in the spring. I see their little green leaves begin to come forth after we've had the winter rains of December and January. By February, they're beginning to make themselves known. But I have to wait until April to see their gorgeous brilliant blossoms. More often than not, I'm a bit impatient for them to bloom, so that when they finally do bloom I am dying with anticipation. Who knew that gardening would be so much like Christmas morning when I was a kid?

0 comments:

Post a Comment